A map of the places named after women -- and a plan

This is a screenshot.  Click on the link below to go to the actual interactive map.


This afternoon, I spent significant time creating an interactive map of the mountains and lakes named after women.  I used the wonderful website batchgeo.com to create THIS.  You can click on the little markers to find the locations, but I've only mapped peaks here.  For the WHOLE updated list of all 60 lakes and mountains named after women in the state of Colorado, please look at this spreadsheet, which I also created today.

I did decide to exclude mountains named for vague references to women (e.g., Twin Sisters, Sisters, Hermosa, Nipple).  I also decided to exclude the mountains named for Native American tribes, since those are not references to specific women.  That said, I'm excited that I discovered Mount Chipeta is named for the second wife of the Ute chief Ouray.  More on that when I hike Mount Chipeta sometime in the next ten years.  I also decided to exclude passes, mines, ridges and creeks.  I'm still not sure about whether to include Columbia and Zenobia, who were both mythical figures -- but were decidedly women.

Basically, I've created a hiking plan for myself for the next ten years (I'll start with the mountains and lakes nearest Denver this summer).  I contacted the Autry Museum of the West, hoping they would be interested in posting this blog on their website (they merged with Boulder's Museum of Women of the West in 2002). They responded promptly and kindly, complimenting the contents of the blog, but saying they can only publish blogs their own staff writes.  But maybe they'll carry my book someday.

Stay tuned for posts on my hikes up Mount Rosalie, Squaw Mountain, and Mount Lady Washington last summer.  Haven't you always wondered for which women those peaks were named?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your ideas, your questions, your suggestions, and/or your corrections here.

Brief update on the S____ Mountain renaming!!!

 Visit https://mountbluesky.info/ to see where this name change journey has gone! S__ Mountain is now officially named Mount Mestaa’ėhehe (t...